Monday, November 29, 2010

Personal Injury Legal Counsel - 5 Benefits That You Should Know About By Stewart Wrighter

Most people know about the existence of personal injury law but do not really know how such knowledge could be of benefit to them. In the event of any incident where you suffer injuries from occurrences that were not your fault, legal counsel from reputed law firms such as an experienced personal injury lawyer on staff who would be able to help you obtain adequate compensation from the guilty party. Do not worry if you do not immediately have the means to fight a legal battle because you can always find one among the personal injury lawyers who could assist you for a discounted fee or even pro bono. In some cases, it could be a class-action lawsuit against a certain company or person.
Here are 5 leading benefits that you could gain from hiring an able legal counsel:
1. Filing for compensation - the first and most important benefit is that you would know how to file for compensation, and for how much you could be entitled in your specific circumstances. Contrary to common belief you may not always ask for full compensation. Also, unless you file your claim correctly, you would risk its dismissal.
2. Filling in the right amount - just as it is important to know how you should file the claim to enhance your winning chances, it is also important to know the maximum you are entitled to claim according to the injuries you suffered. Reputed legal houses would be able to guide you not on how you should file your claim, but also on the maximum amount you could obtain as compensation for your disability.
3. Winning the claim - filing a claim is one thing; winning compensation in court is another. There are many interpretations of this particular law and it is very important that you have a leading attorney on your side to fight your case to win. It takes a lot of experience and in-depth knowledge of the law to ensure that you get what is due to you in the court.
4. Best negotiation skills - there are plenty of cases where the offender offers an out-of-court settlement. Here too, you would need expert legal counsel to get the most out of the proposed offer for you. The negotiations need to be conducted very skillfully to ensure optimal results for you.
5. Alternative options - depending upon the degree of injury and expenses incurred, your legal counsel could point you to various other alternatives whereby you could get the most in your present circumstances. In the event, your case is not strong enough to win in court; your attorney would inform you about such eventuality and save you from additional expenses and trouble.
As you can see, it is in your best interest to consult and hire the best available legal counsel if you want to get the highest possible compensation out of the offender who is responsible for your injuries and suffering. Unless you make the effort to seek out and engage the best available attorney in this particular field, you would find this task very challenging.
Stewart Wrighter has worked with a Henderson personal injury lawyer for an article he is writing on the topic of injury law suits. His son was hired to work with several Henderson personal injury lawyers recently.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What are the requirements for relocating with my children after my divorce?

In Florida,the relocation must be at least 50 miles away and for more than 60 days. The measure is from the last residence when an order was issued or when the pending action was filed. There is no pre-filing requirement, Now you file and serve a petition for relocation that has everything in it required by Florida Statute 61.13001(3). Of course, you can still do it by agreement. The other parent has twenty days to respond to the petition. . The petition has to be served just like the divorce or you can send it via restricted delivery, return-receipt. If no timely answer is filed objecting to the relocation, it will be presumed to be in the child's best interest and the court can issue an order adopting the proposed revised time sharing schedule without a hearing. There are new time frames. If a motion for temporary relocation is filed, the temporary hearing has to be held in 30 days (unless there is good cause) and the final trial must be within 90 days.

Need more info:

 Please note that is not intended to replace the advice of legal counsel. This information is being provided by a Florida Bar license attorney. If you need legal advice or have questions . You should contact legal counsel.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ten Things to Look for in a Family Attorney

This is a checklist of important factors in choosing an attorney to handle your divorce, custody, legitimation or other domestic relations cases, written by the lawyers at Rockhill Pinnick, LLP :I. Stays Calm.
Your attorney has to be able to stay calm and patient. Both sides in a divorce are usually far from calm, and the children, grandparents, and other people having to suffer the fallout from a divorce will be panicky as well. Your family lawyer should be able to deal with you in a calm, controlled manner. He should show patience with you and with the other side. Panicking rarely, if ever, solves a problem. 
II. Is Willing to Say No…. Even to You.
A good attorney is candid about your chances in obtaining an outcome on a particular issue. That attorney should also tell you if you are doing something wrong, or if you are wasting your time. Simply because a client wants something does not mean that it is the best thing for a client, or that it is the right thing to do. 

While some clients get upset when they find out that their attorney will not do everything that they are told, this is just the type of attorney that you should be seeking. Otherwise, your attorney will quickly get a reputation of asking for frivolous things or taking positions on issues that he knows the court will not adopt. That makes it tougher for that attorney to be successful on truly close issues. Also, you are paying good money for that attorney, and you deserve the best advice, not just what you want to hear.
III. Uses Technology.
Property division, pension allocation, child support issues, and many other matters relating to divorce and custody rely on software programs to make efficient, intelligent decisions. If your attorney is not up-to-date on these issues, and is still using pencil and paper to formulate a property division, he is behind the times. He should also be able to communicate with you by email, and discuss the opportunities and advantages of electronic communication when parents and children are living apart. If your attorney has not kept up-to-date on technical issues, it is unlikely that he has kept up-to-date on legal issues either.
IV. Knows the Playing Field.
Your attorney will not be able to predict the future. He will not always know how a particular issue will be decided. He should have enough experience with the judge, with the law, and with the other lawyer to intelligently analyze the probabilities.
If you are asking your attorney to travel to another county or jurisdiction, he should discuss with you what he knows, and doesn’t know, about the judges and lawyers in that area.
V. Puts Your Children First.
The client’s children need to be the number one priority for both the client and the attorney. No one should abuse, misuse, or manipulate the children in a divorce case. It is really that simple.
VI. Keeps His Eyes on Important Issues.
I once had an opposing attorney send me a letter vilifying my client, and demanding that I take action to make sure that my client (who was living in the marital home and had the family’s personal computer) immediately EMAIL her client’s resume to her. Given the fact that the woman was less than 25 years of age, I would have thought that she could probably remember where she went to high school, and what jobs she had held. This attorney was simply not willing to tell her client that this was not an important issue in the greater scheme of things, and that she should probably save her money for more important issues. Likewise, a client once asked me to file a contempt action after a final hearing in a divorce action. When the personal property was divided by the court, the client was to get a 60-foot garden hose from the side of the garage; he was certain that the garden hose’s disappearance was an intentional act to irritate him. I explained to him that it would have to be one heck of a garden hose to justify filing a contempt action, and again suggested that he spend his money in a more important area. An attorney who gets distracted in court by pursuing arguments about whether a bicycle should be in the mother’s home or the father’s home will not be as effective in front of most trial judges in dealing with the more important issue of where the child should be. 

VII. Is Open to Questions.
Your attorney should answer your questions. If he cannot, he should tell you why not. If you do not think that you are getting a fair answer to your question, then write him a letter or send an email. Frequently attorneys think that they have answered questions, but the client is still confused. Do yourself a favor and the attorney a favor and be sure to ask again. If you cannot receive an answer after that, then that attorney may not be for you. (Caveat: remember, your attorney cannot predict the future. If he could, he would be betting on football games in Las Vegas, not meeting with you at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday afternoon when the sun is shining, the fish are biting, and the beer is cold).
VIII. Makes a Good Presentation to You.
Remember, as a potential client, you are a potential boss. If an attorney does not behave, dress, and talk in a manner that provides good presentation to you, what makes you think he will do any better to a judge?
IX. Is Trustworthy.
In the popular media, sometimes people think the best lawyer is the one who is the sneakiest, or plays the closest to the edge of ethical, moral, or legal behavior. Resist the temptation to hire an attorney who acts like that. Judges will not let attorneys get away with that behavior for very long; opposing counsel will be much more difficult to work with (meaning you will be spending a lot more money); and ultimately you will have a more contentious divorce, with nothing to be gained to compensate you for the increased bitterness and expense.
X. Solves Problems.
If the attorney you are interviewing for hire simply talks in terms of winning and losing, get up and leave. By definition, every person going through a divorce suffers some loss, and certainly children are losers no matter what the outcome. What you want is an attorney who works to identify the problems and solve the problems. Solutions to these problems may come by counseling, a word of wise advice to you, patience, mediation, or possible trial in front of a judge. No options should be foreclosed. Five years after the divorce, you will not be able to remember who “won” or “lost,” but you will remember whether the divorce was too expensive, whether your financial settlement or division was extremely unbalanced, and how your children either suffered or survived after resolution of your case. An attorney who does not work to solve problems before going to court will not be a good family law attorney. "

Monday, October 4, 2010

How does Florida Law Protect the purchaser of a used vehicle?

The purchase of a used car is not protected under Florida's Lemon Laws, however, there are several other types of laws that can be used to help you in the event you discover that you've bought a used car lemon. First, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has what's called the Used Car Rule that requires dealers to provide consumers with a Buyer's Guide with warranty and other types of information. If the dealer has in any way failed to abide by the FTC Used Car Rule, you may have the basis for a legal claim. Second, each state has what are called Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) laws. If the dealer has, for example, made verbal promises or didn't tell you about issues relating to your used car, you may have a cause of action. Third, Florida has a version of the Uniform Commercial Code may provide you with a remedy. Lastly, the Truth in Lending Act and the Federal Odometer Act might also be valuable in obtaining lemon justice. Each of these laws may provide legal protection that may hold the seller of the vehicle liable if the car you bought is unsafe or in a bad condition.

Need more information:
Check out these helpful websites:​Florida-Lemon-Law.aspx

Please note that is purely informational and is not intended as legal advice. If you want legal advice it is best to contact a lawyer directly. this information is provided by a attorney licensed by the Florida Bar and graduate of St. Thomas School of Law.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What does it mean to be awarded shared parenting in a court proceeding?

Shared Parenting is the framework setup by the Florida Statutes for co-parenting between both parents after a divorce or a paternity case. Shared parental responsibility is a court ordered relationship in which both parents retain full parental rights and responsibilities and in which both parents confer with each other, so that major decisions affecting the welfare of the children will be determined jointly. The concept of shared parental responsibility is intended to protect the children’s right to an ongoing relationship with both parents. Although this setup is ideal and most preferred there are circumstances in which shared parenting will not work. However, when there is child abuse, family violence, or continuous parental conflict, the court may find that shared parenting would be harmful to the children. In such a case, the court may order sole parental responsibility, where only one parent makes decisions regarding the children. The court may also award one parent ultimate responsibility for decisions regarding a specific aspect of the child’s life such as education or religious upbringing.

Need more assistance:

Thursday, August 26, 2010

How can I serve my husband divorce papers without his address?

Even if you are unsure about your spouses current residence if you are a resident of Florida for six months or more prior to filing. You can do a substitute service of your spouse by publication.

To file for divorce and serve your spouse through publication, you must take steps and then swear under oath that you have made diligent attempts to either serve your spouse or, if you do not know your spouse's whereabouts, made diligent attempts to locate your spouse. To prove this, you file an Affidavit of Diligent Search and Inquiry showing what steps you took along with a Notice of Action for Dissolution of Marriage. You will also be required to file a Nonmilitary Affidavit saying that your spouse is not in active military service in the United States. ( these forms and directions can be found at click the family law forms tab)
Once the requirements to serve through publication are met, you will publish a Notice of Action for Dissolution of Marriage for four (4) consecutive weeks in a local newspaper or publication. The clerk of court may provide you with publications qualified to print your publication. In your notice of action, there will be a date in which your spouse must respond by. If there is no timely response filed, then a default will be issued against your spouse and you may proceed with your divorce through the default process and have an uncontested hearing without your spouse. However, the relief you seek through the court will be restricted. The court will be unable to rule on certain issues such as alimony, child support and distribution of assets and liabilities.

Please note this is not meant to substitute seeking legal counsel and that choosing a lawyer is not something to be taken lightly.  If you need help please contact my office for an appointment.

Need more info: Check out this sites:

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I was never married to the child's mother do I have to pay childsupport?

The financial obligation to care and provide for one's offspring is not contingent on a marriage certificate. As the biological father of the child you are legally, and morally obligated to provide for their care. Your legal parental responsibilities can be legally determined either through your acknowledgment that you are a parent, by the fact that you had welcomed the child into your home as your own, or as established by a paternity test. Florida laws allow for the filing of a Paternity suit in which the actual parentage of the child can be established.Child support is not something that belongs to the parents it is the right of the child.

Need more information:

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Spouse owes childsupport and they are gonna take our tax return what are my options?

In order to protect the portion of the tax return that you feel belongs to you the IRS allows you to file a form 8379 along with your tax return as a Injured Spouse.You are an injured spouse if your share of the overpayment shown on your joint return was, or is expected to be, applied (offset) against your spouse's legally enforceable past-due federal taxes, state income taxes, child or spousal support payments, or a federal non-tax debt, such as a student loan. If you are an injured spouse, you may be entitled to receive a refund of your share of the overpayment. In order to file a claim you will need to get Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation. The IRS has to make the determination that you qualify for such relief. 

Need more information:

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My girlfriend wants to move out of state with our child what are my options?

 First in order to protect your rights as the Father of the child you need to legally establish Paternity. Paternity is established by filing a petition with the court. Through this action you can also get visitation and determine custody, and child support. You should not let your girlfriend move away without establishing these rights. Also keep in mind that, Florida has a law called the “Relocation Statute”. The law says that once you have a divorce case or a Parenting Plan you cannot move the children more than 50 miles unless the other parent agrees or the Court says that you can. The law has a number of factors to consider, such as the reason for the move, how involved the non-moving parent has been with the children, and other important matters to decide if a move is in the best interests of the children. In any case you need to have a court order in place to assert your rights.

Need more information? Check these links below

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I get so frustrated talking to my ex what can I do to cope ?

You have to talk with your ex ( I'm assuming you have children) to make things as normal for your children as possible. The children often suffer the most during the divorce and you don't want to make things more difficult for them. One way you can keep the lines of communication open is through email. When you email your ex make sure keep them short and without and snide remarks. Keep the emails about the children; their schedules and activities. You can also use email to coordinate pick up times for visitation. Do not use the emails to attack your ex !!!! Again it is your best interest to keep the lines of communication open, however if it is not possible to talk without hostility email can be a viable option to avoid conflict.

Need more help : Check out these websites:

Sunday, July 4, 2010

What are the Bill of Rights?

1st freedom of religion, speech, press assembly, and petition.
2ND right to keep, and bear arms
3rd lodging troops in private homes
4Th search, seizures, proper warrants
5Th criminal proceedings, due process, eminent
6Th criminal proceedings
7Th jury trials in civil cases
8Th bail; cruel unusual punishment
9Th UN enumerated rights
10Th powers reserved to the states

Need more information Check out these links:

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Practical Legal Advice: Can I force my exhusband to pay for private school?

Practical Legal Advice: Can I force my ex husband to pay for private school?

Can I force my exhusband to pay for private school?

No. A parent cannot be required to contribute to a child's private schooling expenses unless the court can make certain findings such as the parent has the ability to pay, the expenses are the customary standard of living for the parties, and it is in the child's best interest. The court will look that these factors and make a determination.

Need more information Check out these links:

Remember choosing a lawyer is an important decision not to be taken lightly. If you have questions call my office an schedule an appointment.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What types of alimony are available to someone seeking support?

In awarding alimony, the court considers factors such as the parties’ prior standard of living; length of the marriage; age and physical and emotional condition of both spouses; each spouse’s financial resources and income-producing capacity of the assets they receive; the time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to find appropriate employment; and the services rendered in homemaking, child rearing, and education and career building of the other spouse. The court may consider any other factor necessary to do equity and justice between the husband and wife.
 After equitable distribution has been made, the court may consider an award of alimony. The court may grant alimony to either the husband or the wife. Rehabilitative alimony may be for a limited period of time to assist in re­developing skills and financial independence. Permanent alimony continues until the receiving spouse’s remarriage or the death of either party. Rehabilitative and permanent alimony generally are paid periodically (i.e., monthly or semi-monthly). The court may grant some combination of the two. The court may also order lump-sum alimony where one party pays to the other party a lump-sum payment of money or property. Although adultery does not mandate or bar an award of alimony, the court may consider the circumstances of that adultery in determining an award of alimony.

You have the right to find out about all your spouse’s income and assets through the use of discovery procedures which your attorney will explain to you.

 Choosing a lawyer is an important decision if your need help please schedule an appointment with the Law office of Carolyn R. Jones

For more information about alimony:

Monday, June 28, 2010

Can Credit Repair Companies Really Clean Up my Credit Report?

Credit repair fraud occurs when companies offer consumers with poor credit the service of cleaning up their credit report for a fee. They typically charge from $50 and up, but often do little or nothing for you before vanishing.
If a credit repair company tells you that it will be able to remove negative information from your credit report, the company is not telling the truth. Only incorrect information or items left after the seven year or 10 year reporting date can be changed. If you have a poor credit history, time is the only thing that can heal your credit report. Some credit repair schemes promise you that they can “hide” bad credit by helping you to establish a new credit identity. For a fee, some schemers may ask you to file for an employer Identification Number (EIN) to use in place of your social security number. This practice is called “segregation” and is illegal.
The truth is that you can help yourself rebuild a better credit record. If you need help working out a payment plan and a budget, contact your local credit counseling service. These non-profit groups offer credit guidance to consumers, and their services are available at little or no cost to you. Your credit union, housing authority or employer may offer these services too. You are entitled to a free credit report if you are denied credit, insurance or employment within 60 days of notice. You must be able to show that you are either unemployed (but will seek employment within 60 days), on welfare or your report is inaccurate because of fraud.

Monday, June 7, 2010

What is Guardianship and Who can serve as a Guardian?

A guardianship is a legal proceeding in the circuit courts of Florida in which a guardian is appointed to exercise the legal rights of an incapacitated person. This guardian can be an individual or institution such as a bank trust department appointed by the court to care for an incapacitated person-called a "ward"-or for the ward's assets.
Any adult resident of Florida can serve as a guardian. A close relative of the ward who does not live in Florida may also serve as a guardian. Persons who have been convicted of a felony or who are incapable of carrying out the duties of a guardian cannot be appointed. Institutions such as a bank trust department, a nonprofit religious or charitable corporation, or a public guardian, can be appointed guardian, but a bank trust department may only act as guardian of the property. The court gives consideration to the wishes expressed by the incapacitated person in a written declaration of preneed guardian or at the hearing.

The Court may not appoint a guardian in any circumstance in which a conflict of interest may occur.

Choosing a lawyer is a serious decision if you have further questions please contact the Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones listed below for further assistance.

Monday, May 31, 2010

What happens if the borrower I cosigned for doesn't pay?

If the original borrower doesn't pay the debt, you will have to! The creditor may ask you to pay up to the full amount of the debt plus late fees and collection costs not just half. In some cases the creditor may try to collect from you first without trying to collect from the original borrower.Studies show that if the original borrower defaults or fails to pay the loan, 3 out of 4 cosigners are asked to pay the debt.

Monday, May 17, 2010


If you die without a will (this is called dying "intestate"), your property will be distributed to your heirs according to a formula fixed by law. Your property does not go to the State of Florida unless there are absolutely no heirs at law, which is very unlikely. In other words, if you fail to make a will, the inheritance statute determines who gets your property. The inheritance statute contains a rigid formula and makes no exception for those in unusual need.

When there is no will, the court appoints a personal representative, known or unknown to you, to manage your estate. The cost of probating may be greater than if you had planned your estate with a will, and the administration of your estate may be subject to greater court supervision

Thursday, May 13, 2010

How to avoid being a Victim of Auto Repair Scams or Gimmicks

Many of us have felt cheated by auto mechanics at one time or another, while there are many very honest mechanics out there as a consumer you must protect yourself from the many scams. Always use the same mechanic and build a good relationship with them don't use a station or repair shop that you happened to past by unless its an emergency. Be aware of the Florida Motor Vehicle Repair Act, Florida statutes 559.901 through 599.9221. This act requires that a written estimate of the cost of a repair be given to you if your repair will exceed $100.00. Always get a written estimate for any work done on your car and demand additional written estimates if the repairs are to exceed the original figure. You may also demand to be contacted by the attendant or mechanic for your authorization if there is going to be an expense over and above that which is stated in the estimate. You can ask that old parts replaced during the repair be returned to you. The repair facility must tell you whether or not new or used parts are to be used in the repair. All work and parts are required to be itemized on an invoice so you can know the reason for all charges. This law was designed to protect the consumer, so make use of it.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am taking care of my relative's children how can I apply for custody?

Obtaining temporary custody of a relatives children is a very easy process. Chapter 751 of the Florida Statutes allows for grandparents, aunts and uncles, great aunts and great uncles, first cousins, adult siblings, or stepparents to file for a court order granting them temporary custody of the child in their care. The parents must either consent, fail to object, or be proved unfit. The order allows the caregiver to consent to medical treatment, enroll the child in school, and qualify for other
benefits. The order is valid until the child's parents request the court to dissolve the order, and prove they are now able to take care of their child.

You can get all the necessary forms for free at

Practical Legal Advice: Modifying Child Support

If you've ever tried to modify a Child Support Agreement, it can be very challenging.The legal standard for the modification is a substantial change in circumstances. That means that whether you are trying to lower or increase your child support payments you must demonstrate that things have changed a great deal and a decrease or increase is merited. Once you decide to file for a modification you will need to file a petition in court. You can get all the necessary forms at this is the Florida supreme court website. These forms come with instructions and are easy to fill out and are available for free. You can also call your local attorney for Pro Se help these services are available for a fee however, these fees are less than those for full legal services.

Note the hiring of an attorney is a serious decision not to be taken likely if you have any questions contact me at

Monday, May 10, 2010


Yes, you should not stop visitation because of failure to pay child support. Otherwise, you may be held in contempt of court. The proper way to deal with non-payment of child support is to ask the court to hold the non-custodial parent in contempt of court for failure to pay.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Practical Legal Advice: Avoiding Repossession

In these tough economic times you may feel that when it comes to having your car repossessed you have run out of options and its inevitable. But even if you are behind on your car payments you can avoid repossession. While a creditor can act in any way allowed by Florida law, repossession is not always their first choice. In many, if not most, instances where a debtor is late on a payment, the creditor will attempt to collect payments instead of repossessing the collateral. In some instances you can negotiate with the creditor and resume payments without further damaging your credit.

This not meant to replace consultation with a lawyer while this information is provided by Carolyn R. Jones a licensed Florida attorney to protect your rights you should always confer with an attorney which is a important decision not to be taken lightly.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Must Have for newly practicing attorneys

Florida Legal Secretary

Do you have someone guiding you there your legal case step by step ? If not you need to buy Florida Legal Secretary by Kathleen Hill. It is the most comprehensive guide you can buy and it is the solo practitioners best friend. It not only comes with priceless information. The companion CD contains well over 100 forms that are ready for use. I use it and it has helped my practice enormously.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Divorce Do's and Don'ts

There are some rather dear cut rules that apply to every divorce. Pay heed to these rules and your divorce will be easier and less painful for all involved.

Have Reasonable Expectations. You will certainly be disappointed if you expect to “win” on every issue. Rarely is either party happy about every ruling in a case. Even the best rulings leave both parties somewhat dissatisfied. Encourage your attorney to give you a realistic projection of the outcome of your case.

Keep Communication Open With Your Spouse/Ex-Spouse. As long as you have children, you and your (ex-) spouse with have to work together. Your children will suffer to the degree that you and your former spouse cannot cooperate and communicate.

Get Professional Help To Deal With Your Emotions. If you have trouble with the hostility, anger, or depression that often occurs in divorces, do not hesitate to get counseling to help you through it. Use professional help to deal with your hostility. Do not use the court, your attorney, or the system to vent your anger; that would be counterproductive. A good counselor can help you, and your children, get through this difficult time.

Encourage And Support Visitation. If you are the custodial parent, you have a duty to encourage visitation. You must do more than just stay out of the way or leave the choice to the children. Encourage your children to see your former spouse frequently and to enjoy the contact. Never use support or visitation as a lever or bargaining chip in dealing with the other parent.

Give Your Children A Chance. The way you and your spouse handle your divorce will have an enormous impact upon your children. If you argue and fight, their problems and pain will be magnified. By acting civilly, you can help them through one of the most difficult events of their lives.

contact me if you have questions

If you ever have rented an apartment there are a few things you need to keep in mind in order to protect yourself. First always take pictures of the apartment prior to moving in and after you move out. This will protect you if there are any allegations that you damaged the apartment or you left without cleaning it. Even in the nicest and newest of buildings this problem can arise. If there are minor repairs needed make sure you let the landlord know right away so the repairs can be made as soon as possible. Put any requests for repairs in written and keep a copy of this request for your self. Also make sure you left the landlord know your forwarding address this will ensure that you will be able to have your security deposit sent to you. These are just a few things to keep in mind. if you have further questions contact your local neflorida lawyer and I will glad to help.