Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am taking care of my relative's children how can I apply for custody?

Obtaining temporary custody of a relatives children is a very easy process. Chapter 751 of the Florida Statutes allows for grandparents, aunts and uncles, great aunts and great uncles, first cousins, adult siblings, or stepparents to file for a court order granting them temporary custody of the child in their care. The parents must either consent, fail to object, or be proved unfit. The order allows the caregiver to consent to medical treatment, enroll the child in school, and qualify for other
benefits. The order is valid until the child's parents request the court to dissolve the order, and prove they are now able to take care of their child.

You can get all the necessary forms for free at flcourts.org

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn - this is really valuable information. Thanks so much for sharing!